Thursday, February 19, 2015

The (sort of) Magic School Bus...

I thought it high time to end the silence of blog posts with a general picture dump of categorized catch-up before moving to the more recent events in our life.  It has been such a crazy almost 7 (!) months here, and we've had some awesome times.  During that time, we've gotten to go on some cool field trips with our kids, so here's the highlights from our excursions into the city with our gaggle of kindy kids, broken down by trip.  Enjoy!

***THE BUS***
It should go without saying that part of the thrill for our classes is that they get to take the bus and have crazy amounts of snacks on field trip days.  I have some awesomely hilarious video clips of the kids being silly, but I have been too lazy to splice them together.  At the least, here are the sentiments summed up nicely:
Above: Justin and Yeriel are excited for the day's festivities.  
Below:  Gummy hamburgers are not nearly as cool as the packaging!

1.  SCIENCE MUSEUM
The children's science museum was really fun for the kids.  I think it was more exhausting for us, but truth be told, I was losing my voice at the time, and we ended up running late for most of the trip (a common occurrence for some reason with our field trips). But we still had a fun time, and the museum has some cool stuff for kids.  Maybe this is not just a Korean thing, but the field trip places we've gone to here have always had cool crafts or activities for the kids to do.
Here's Daisy class being cute and well mannered in front of a triceratops.
While here's only two of my kids (plus Yeriel and Jay) being dinosaurs.  Yep, that sums it up well.
Jeremy and Alice posing in front of the giant animatronic dinosaur.  It should be noted that this was pre-perm Alice, and also that this is the best photo we have of Jeremy, who was really good that day.
Ugh.  The thing the kids loved above all else was a lame virtual reality dinosaur shooting car game, which a) makes NO sense in a DINOSAUR MUSEUM, and b) took forever to funnel them all through.  Taggart and I were recovering from being sick, so it was more aggravating to wait for them all to get a chance to play.  At least they had fun.
This is by far my favorite field trip picture.  Not only is this my favorite kid, Justin, who I would take home with me in a heartbeat, but he wanted his picture taken with this dinosaur by himself, and then just sat down by it and posed.  I love it.
After stopping to have a surprisingly well-behaved lunch (for my class's part) we quickly saw a model airplane and then headed home.  I love the pics of the girls with their backpacks, they always become such a team when we go on field trips.

2. HIKING THE UIRYEONG RIDGE
I really loved this trip we took in the fall.  The leaves were changing colors, and we had perfect weather for taking an easy hike up the ridge between two mountains.  Our kids were little troopers, who walked pretty much the whole way, except for what you see below plus one skinned knee.
I missed the story behind these rock formations, but they're still cool.  The kids played a leaf collecting game with the rangers, looking for different colors in nature.  Most of them loved it!
Korea was really beautiful in the fall - there was tons of foliage with gorgeous reds and oranges, and for the first time in my life that I remember, I experienced an actual season of fall that lasted (sorry Colorado).  It was awesome.  The sky was also really clear up here.
Here are our pictures of our awesome little work family, minus Gloria, who only worked afternoons at this point.  From left: Matt, me, Taggart, Heather, Colleen, and then Julia (they took turns :D).
 
We did make the mistake of carrying some of the small (and cutie) kids, which then meant everyone wanted a shoulder ride.  We eventually got free to enjoy walking ourselves.
Haha I also love this picture of Jean, who got tired and so just crouched in the middle of the trail to rest.  It totally looks like she's going to the bathroom in the middle of the road, though!
The girls really like to run away from Taggart, who only has to give them a menacing look.
See?  He herds tiny children well.
Here is our attempt at a group photo.  I thought we actually did pretty well with all of the kids.  But the faces always crack me up.
We really lucked out with the best ranger guide ever.  You could totally tell that he loved his job, and even though I understood zero percent of what he was saying, the kids were all captivated.
Here's Jay and Taggart being cute, and Jay showing off his walking stick that he found.
We got back to school, had snacks, and made hats with the leaves we had collected.

3. CHILDREN'S MUSEUM
The trip we took to the Children's Museum was really fun for us, maybe less so for the kids.  We had another really entertaining lady who gave a puppet show to the kids and taught them a Korean drumming dance.  We also made Korean flags for each class, which is one of my favorite souvenirs.
The guide took us through the kids portion of the museum, and they got to see and play with all kinds of old "artifacts", including a payphone.  They were all fascinated by it. *facepalm*
The kids all playing essentially "I-Spy" with the guide: 
Sarah and me in front of a 50's vespa.
We went to another room to make bamboo, flower, or geese hats.  Helen's face is so funny as she was concentrating on the lady speaking.
Here's Jay and Yeriel with their class flag.  So cute!

Well, there you have it.  We love taking our kids on little explorations around Seoul, and I must say, the city is well equipped to handle little kids in a fun and interesting way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment